1. The Shell Game. Just like the street game, but instead of “find the nut” you place a tasty treat under one of the cups and then shuffle the cups around. Your dog will enjoy guessing right every single time and getting the treat!
2. Find the treats. Have your dog in a stay as he watches you “hide” treats around the room. Then release her and let her nose lead her to the jackpot.
3. Stuffed Kong. There are all kinds of things you can stuff her Kong with, but my favorite is freezing wet dog food. It will keep her busy for hours. It’s best to have two Kong to make sure one is always at the ready.
4. Tug of War. The good ole stand by. BTW, letting your dog win sometimes does not turn him into a possessive or aggressive dog.
5. Fetch. Another great stand by. Fetch not only is a great interactive game, but makes sure your dog sleeps through the night.
6. Commands and Tricks. Make your dog work for his food, and help her sharpen the saw on all that she’s learned through the months.
7. Memory. Chaser the Border Collie has a vocabulary of over 1,000 words. Chaser can pick out a called name of a toy among hundreds! You can set up a small group of toys and teach your dog to memorize what they are called.
8. Teach a new trick. Every dog has the capacity to learn at least 50 tricks. It’s just a matter of spending the time to teach them.
9. Which hand? It’s as easy as it sounds. Put a treat in one hand and then close both your hands into a fist. Have your dog guess which hand the treat is in. If she guesses right, she gets the treat. If not, just keep playing it over – she’ll figure it out.
10. Hide and Seek
Put your dog into a stay and then go into another room and hide. Release her and let the fun begin. You can make little sounds to get her going in the right direction.